The tomato will be front and center in Fairfield this weekend as the beloved Fairfield Tomato Festival returns to downtown.
This year marks the 23rd Annual Tomato Festival in downtown Fairfield. The festival, produced by the Fairfield Main Street Association, is expected to draw more than 25,000 visitors to Fairfield’s historic downtown Aug. 16 and Aug. 17. The Fairfield Tomato Festival is the only free community event of its kind in the area.
Back by popular demand is the VIP Food and Wine Pairing at the beautiful Solano County Events Center. This separate event does require tickets, which are $25 in advance and $30 at the door. A portion of proceeds will benefit Meals on Wheels of Solano County. Enjoy wine and food pairings from local chefs and wineries along with live music. Tickets available at FairfieldMainStreet.com.
The “Fairfield’s Got Talent” youth competition will be hosted by Star Producers and Danc-Sing Stars Studio and will feature both dance and vocal categories. Winners will be announced in two age divisions; Ages 11 and under and ages 12 to 18 with 1st place CASH Awards, and 2nd and 3rd place ribbons. There is a maximum time limit of three minutes and a sound system will be provided.
Additional Festival highlights include the following:
- New this year is the “Artisan Plaza”, featuring handcrafted wares and original art.
- Free locally grown Heirloom tomatoes may be sampled in Tomato Alley. There will be a rainbow of tomatoes with names such as Russian Black, Boxcar Willy, Pink Girl and Green Zebra. Located at the lawn area at Jefferson and Texas Streets.
- The ever-popular Tomato Eating contests are open to everyone at the stage at Texas and Webster Streets on both Saturday and Sunday at 12:30.
- Submit your recipe for the best Salsa on Saturday at 2:00. $10.00 entry fee will contribute to the cash prize awards. Entry forms available at FairfieldMainStreet.com
- Farmers Market area will feature Tenbrink Farms Heirloom tomatoes for purchase.
- A wide variety of live music and entertainment takes place on two stages. Enjoy performances from Sapo Guapo, Terry Sheets Band, Used Blues Band, Rhythm Method, Matt Applin & the Midnite Band, and Vino Bandito’s, to name a few.
- Children’s activities include amusement rides for all ages, pony rides, and activities.
- Food booth space is full but there are a few remaining vendor spaces. Call the Fairfield Main Street Association office at 707-422-0103 for information. More than 100 vendors including delicious local foods, commercial, nonprofits, and artisans and crafters are participating.
The 23rd Annual Fairfield Tomato Festival will be from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 16 and noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday Aug. 17.
For the latest up-to-date information, including entertainment details and special announcements, please join our facebook fan page, Fairfield Tomato Festival or visit www.fairfieldmainstreet.com