“I know it is wet and the sun is not sunny, but we can have lots of good fun that is funny.”
― Dr. Seuss, The Cat in the Hat
The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. But that does not mean you have to sit in your house on a cold, cold, wet day!
For there is fun to be found in Fairfield, yes there is, in dry and warm places away from the downpours out there.
So the next time your children say, 'We're bored, what is there to do?,' remember these great Fairfield adventures so close to you!
1. Jelly Belly Candy Company: This is where the magic happens! The Jelly Belly Candy Company is the home of Jelly Belly jelly beans and more than 50 other fine confections. The tour is always free - and the samples are too! The self-guided tour is open daily, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m, (with the visitor center open to 5 p.m.) and is a great place to spend a couple of hours with your family. As you walk above the factory, take a deep breath and smell the aroma of peach, cinnamon, pineapple, or whatever flavor is being cooked that day. The quarter-mile walkway is filled with displays, interactive exhibits, and entertaining videos. Learn the secrets to how Jelly Belly creates the legendary Jelly Belly jelly bean, and discover why it can take up to two weeks to make a single bean. After your tour, visit the Jelly Belly Cafe, where you can enjoy a pizza or cheeseburger shaped like a jelly bean!
2. Driven Raceway: 'On your mark... get set.... GO!' If you have a need for speed and adventure, you will love Fairfield's Driven Raceway. Driven Raceway is Northern California’s premiere indoor kart racing and family entertainment facility. Best of all, everything - fom the go-kart course to the glow-in-the-dark black light mini-golf course to the mini bowling alley - is inside. Come experience firsthand European-style racing with the most sophisticated and high speed electric karts available today. Driven Raceway supplies the helmet, race suit, and instructions… you bring the DRIVE! Driven Raceway also includes an arcade and a Hot Rod Cafe for pizza and drinks. It's a great way to spend a few hours and all ages are welcome.
3. Scandia Family Fun Center: Scandia Family Center is nine acres of entertainment for the entire family! While some of their popular attractions are outdoors, Scandia has a HUGE indoor arcade area. There are over 200 games to choose from, including classics and cutting edge video technology. There are pinball machines and prize redemption games - and you should see the prizes available! Scandia also has an indoor lasertag facility where you can team up with up to 25 other players and battle in a futuristic space station. The center incudes a cafe serving pizza, nachos, pretzels, and soft drinks.
4. Solano Town Center: The largest indoor shopping center in Solano County with over 1 million square feet of space, Solano Town Center includes over 135 retailers offering everything from clothing, electronics, and dining, to a giant IMAX movie theater. Stores include Best Buy, Dick's Sporting Goods, Hollister, Forever 21, JC Penny, Macy's, and Ulta. There's even a carousel inside!
5. The Lawler House Art Gallery and the Solano Town Center Art Gallery both showcase the works of local and regional artists. The galleries host multiple shows throughout the year, and admission is free. A visit to one of these small galleries, where you'll often meet an artist or two with works on display, is a wonderful way to introduce children to art. The Lawler House Gallery, at 718 Main Street in Suisun City, is open Fri-Sun, 12 p.m. to 4 p.m., and the Solano Town Center Gallery, located on the second floor of the mall, is open Wed-Sun, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
6. Jumpity Bumpity: Jumpity Bumpity is an ocean themed indoor recreation center and birthday party venue for children. In their Fairfield location, they have a gigantic 3-level soft padded play structure for children 12 years and under and a separate play area for toddlers under 3. There is also a 3-lane full size Ninja Warrior Course for all ages to challenge on. Jumpity Bumpity is open daily and offers a sitting area for parents and free Wi-Fi.
“Look at me!
Look at me!
Look at me NOW!
It is fun to have fun
But you have to know how.”
― Dr. Seuss, The Cat in the Hat