Hundreds expected at the Lynch Canyon Trail Run
Calling all runners, walkers, families, outdoor adventurers and tu-tu enthusiasts - the eighth annual Lynch Canyon Trail Run is just days away!
The event, which will include a 5K, 10K, half marathon and community hike in the hills of Lynch Canyon between Fairfield and Vallejo, will kick off at 8 a.m. on Saturday, June 6. The trail run has earned a reputation as the perfect combination of challenge and fun for participants of all ages.
The 5K, 10K, and half marathon races all start at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, June 6. Over 300 runners have already signed up at www.lynchcanyontrailrun.org. Runners are coming from six different states and three different countries, and they range in age from 8 to 80. Whether they are racing to win, running for fun, or both, they will be challenged on the steep hills and treated to frequent aid stations and cheerful volunteers. All routes are 100 percent trail, with about 85 percent wide track and 15 percent single track, and spectacular views.
Pre-register for the 5K, 10K, or half marathon before June 4 at www.lynchcanyontrailrun.org for $30, $40, or $50, respectively. All proceeds support public access and improvements at Lynch Canyon. Pre-registrants save $10 off race-day prices, and they are guaranteed a custom-designed event t-shirt. Half marathon finishers also receive a hand-crafted medal.
The 8th Annual Lynch Canyon Community Hike also starts at 8:00 a.m. It is completely free and there is no pre-registration. Over fifty people hike the 2.5-mile loop as slow or fast as they like. They walk a wide dirt trail alongside a creek toward a reservoir, then go 400 feet uphill to reach the highest point of the hike. At the top, volunteers cheer them on and give them a certificate recognizing their achievement.
Everyone arrives between 6:30 a.m. and 7:45 a.m. for check-in and everything begins at 8:00 a.m.
The Solano Land Trust, on its own Facebook page, recently shared its Top 10 reasons why you should register for the Lynch Canyon Trail Run. These include:
* The race shirts are incredibly cool this year! Not only did we get a custom logo designed but they are also a comfortable tech material.
* You can run alongside some adorable cows at Lynch Canyon. We will have wranglers at the event so the cows do not interfere with the course!
* Sign up before Friday, June 5 and get a discounted race entry fee!
* The finisher's prizes are extremely generous! We are very lucky to be sponsored by some great local organizations that are doing their part to make this event a success.
* You can tell all of your family and friends that you have completed the toughest trail run in Solano County! Lynch Canyon offers a wide variety of rolling hills and run distances are challenging with a respectable amount of elevation gain. But we believe you can do it - sign up today!
* We have the best volunteers to take care of you throughout the race. We offer frequent aid stations as well as many cheerful volunteers to support you the whole way!
* The 1/2 marathon medals are going to be spectacular and unique to Solano Land Trust! This year we brought together a team of staff and volunteers to make another collector's medal, only this time it was made in Rush Ranch's blacksmith shop with natural elements from our land.
* June 6, 2015 is American Hiking Society's National Trails Day, the country’s largest celebration of trails. National Trails Day events will take place in every state across the country and will include hikes, trails runs, biking and horseback rides, birdwatching, geocaching, gear demonstrations, stewardship projects and much more.
* This event is perfect for all ages and ability levels. We have runners registered from ages 8 to 80. It is a great opportunity to get the whole family outside and do your mind and body some good!
* All event proceeds benefit Solano Land Trust and Lynch Canyon. We would not be able to protect open spaces such as Lynch Canyon in Solano County without support from all of you!
Bring family and friends, but no pets. For the protection of Lynch Canyon’s wildlife and free-range cattle, dogs and other pets are not allowed.
For more information about the Lynch Canyon Trail Run and Community Hike, visit www.solanolandtrust.org, www.lynchcanyontrailrun.org, or call 707-432-0150 extension 200.